Saturday, February 16, 2008

Sums & Differences

‘Sum me up’, she said, excited and afraid at the same time.

Amir looked at her, as if for the first time, trying to find meaning in her face, her hands, her hair.

And then he spoke.

‘You see it’s impossible for me to do that. Everything that I would say about you can never be more than half of what I really mean. And if I really think about it, it’s not for me to say what you really are, because what I think I know about you might just be 0.0000000000000001 % of what you actually are. Of what you actually are.’

Silence. 11 seconds. Of the uneasy type.

‘So I might as well say nothing. Nothing – that’s 0.0000000000000000 %. You see it doesn’t matter if you have 1 or 0 at the end, if you have 20 0’s preceding it. After the decimal point, I mean. I hope you see that.’

Silence. 9 seconds. Of the uneasy type.

‘Do you?’

She didn’t.

She didn’t answer. Nevertheless, Amir had successfully negotiated the challenge.


3 comments:

Chandni said...

In the duel of the Girl and the Geek
The loser is strong, the winner so weak
Silence reigns supreme, chatter thinks it should wink
He grimaces at his logic, she knew just what to think.

Style = awfully interesting

Piper said...

Oh dear reader, what you say is so true
Despite the victory, all Amir feels is a helpless blue
He has won the duel, but the mind is hardly at rest
To think over the unanswered question is all he can do at best

For a moment, I thought the 'awfully interesting' comment was on your piece, not mine

Anonymous said...

The piper, it seems, plays his friendly tune
No wonder it's Moonlight here, not just the loon
The Paranoid Android uses his planet-sized brain
Not much to be understood, not much to gain
He, after all, would have answered in a manner thus
In his confines, he secretly smirks at all the fuss